LAS VEGAS, Jan. 10, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (INTERNATIONAL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW 2012 — BOOTH #31253) -- Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR), a leading provider of silicon and software solutions to enable connected home entertainment, will showcase Entropic-powered MoCA® (Multimedia over Coax) 2.0 based demonstrations highlighting the latest in performance and interoperability while incorporating key emerging technology components and consumer applications at CES2012 in booth #31253.
Entropic's award-winning MoCA 2.0 chipset answers the growing demand for powerful connectivity within the home. Transforming the coaxial infrastructure into a highly-efficient, reliable whole-home entertainment network, MoCA 2.0 provides the greatest throughput, enhanced reliability, necessary power management and security features, and backwards interoperability to prior MoCA standards; making it the key enabling technology to deliver a 'no excuses' whole-home network for high definition (HD) video and streaming media services.
At CES2012, Entropic demonstrates a "no excuses" approach to performance by highlighting major MoCA 2.0 features:
- Backward interoperability of MoCA 2.0 devices with MoCA 1.0 and 1.1 networks. Highlighting emerging applications of this next gen home network, a variety of set-top boxes, DVRs, game consoles, Blu-ray players, Smart TVs, and mobile devices are connected through the MoCA network as the de-facto in-home network backbone.
This mixed network highlights how applications — such as multi-room DVR, gaming, over the top video, local content distribution and high speed HD streaming — can all be seamlessly supported as service providers and consumers upgrade to MoCA 2.0. Included in this network demonstration will be the industry's first four-port MoCA 2.0 ECAs from NETGEAR.
- A 16-node MoCA 2.0 network utilizing Entropic's EN2710 silicon and software platform transports data with an unmatched aggregate MAC rate in excess of 400 Mbps. A home network with this class of performance will keep service providers, videophiles and even the most demanding gamers engaged with high throughput and a low-latency lag-free entertainment experience.
- The MoCA 2.0 "turbo" profile will enable telco and major service providers the opportunity to deliver performance speeds greater than 500 Mbps of useable MAC throughput. This level of throughput addresses the need for service providers to offer premium broadband access tiers to their subscribers and to distribute that bandwidth around the multi-device MoCA network.
- A MoCA 2.0 enabled transcoding solution featuring an integrated Entropic/Zenverge reference design to underscore MoCA's ability to extend connectivity to mobile display devices. This demonstration simultaneously streams pre-recorded and live broadcast content to up to four devices via real time format conversion. When transcoding is combined with Wi-Fi extension, users of mobile devices will enjoy the freedom of watching HD content on any device and without the hassle of manual format conversion.
"Entropic continues its leadership role in providing home networking technology to satisfy the high demands that service provider and consumer expect from next generation services and applications," said Tom Lookabaugh, chief technology officer, Entropic. "By establishing a MoCA 2.0 based network backbone in the home and focusing on service provider gateway/client architectures along with emerging consumer-savvy applications, Entropic is developing and demonstrating platforms that address the needs of content distributors and consumers alike."
Entropic will display other MoCA complementary products and solutions, including:
- Remote User Interface (RUI) solutions based on the publically available RVU standard, which is currently used by DIRECTV to deliver a consistent user interface and experience with its multi-room DVR services.
- Entropic's c.LINK® Broadband Access solution for Ethernet-over-Coax (EoC) implementations, which allows service providers to deliver scalable connectivity to multiple dwelling units (MDU) and hospitality markets for a high-performance, cost-effective, future-proofed video delivery networking.
- Entropic's Channel Stacking Switch (CSS) solution, which enables satellite service providers to simplify the installation, upgrade and deployment of DVR services.
To learn more about Entropic and the power of MoCA, visit Entropic at CES2012 — booth #31253 or online at: www.entropic.com.
About Entropic Communications
Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR) is a leading fabless semiconductor company that is engineering the future of connected home networking and entertainment by providing next-generation silicon and software technologies to the world's leading cable, telco and satellite service providers, OEMs and consumer electronics manufacturers. As a co-founder of MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance), Entropic pioneered and continues to evolve the way high-definition television-quality video and other multimedia and digital content such as movies, music, games and photos are brought into and delivered throughout the home. For more information, visit Entropic at www.entropic.com.
The Entropic Communications logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=4255
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements." Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding Entropic's MoCA technology, its related prospects and its role in the future of home networking. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause Entropic's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to, competition, risks associated with Entropic's dependence on a limited number of customers and suppliers, technology risks, the risk that the market for HD video and multimedia content delivery solutions may not develop as Entropic anticipates and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of Entropic's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Entropic is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
CONTACT: Investor Contact:
Director, Investor Relations
Marketing Communications Manager
Finn Partners for Entropic Communications
Source: Entropic Communications
News Provided by Acquire Media