Newly Released and Proof of Concept Technologies to Deliver Content to the Consumer in the New TV Paradigm
SAN DIEGO, Calif., May 15, 2012 — Entropic Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, will highlight the latest and most advanced innovations in set-top-box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) and MoCA®-based (Multimedia over Coax) home connectivity, enabling today’s leading global cable operators to migrate from traditional broadcast to hybrid or pure IP-based streaming video networks.
Entropic is the only “pure-play” platform semiconductor company delivering connectivity and SoC solutions that reliably and securely deliver and process digital video and audio content into and throughout the connected home. At booth #1567, Entropic will demonstrate advanced STB and connectivity solutions that revolutionize the way content is delivered and experienced, including:
- STB SoC Solutions
- Current and Next-gen STB SoCs for Broadcast and IP-Client markets: Entropic offers advanced single and dual-core ARM® Cortex-A9-based SoCs that deliver on performance, advanced security, and ecosystem support required by leading global multiple service operators (MSOs) and original equipment/device manufacturers (OEMs/ODMs).
- Fully-loaded and Customized Google Android STB SoCs: Entropic will highlight its extensive ecosystem support for multiple open standards, including the latest Google Android® 4.0 “Ice Cream Sandwich” operating system.
- Unique Consumer Facing Applications: Entropic’s integrated broadcast SoC solutions enable cable operators to offer their subscribers interactive video calling experiences, such as video chat over live TV – over the existing set-top box, TV or wireless LAN network.
- Connectivity Solutions
- MoCA 2.0 Networking: Entropic’s MoCA 2.0 solution brings unprecedented performance to home networking, transforming a home’s existing coaxial infrastructure into a highly-efficient, reliable whole-home entertainment network, delivering over 400Mbps of MAC layer throughput.
- Backward Interoperability: Demonstrating interoperability between MoCA 1.0, MoCA 1.1 and MoCA 2.0 assures that Entropic MoCA 2.0 solutions can be seamlessly deployed into existing operator based MoCA networks.
- Assorted MoCA Adapters: Entropic will feature plug-and-play MoCA-based Ethernet-to-Coax, MoCA-to-Wi-Fi and Multi-band Adapters that turn the home coax cable network into a highly reliable backbone, extending the reach of broadband service and eliminating Wi-Fi dead zones.
- MoCA Plus Video Transcoding: Entropic will showcase powerful transcoding technologies over a MoCA 2.0 network, empowering consumers to experience, view and share HDTV and streaming content over multiple screens – whether in the home or on the go.
- The Future of Video Delivery: Entropic Innovations in Action
- 2Gbps Access to the Home: Entropic is the first silicon vendor to demonstrate a proof-of-concept next generation Access technology – delivering 2Gbps of MAC throughput over cable with the same operator class reliability of MoCA.
- Android-based Mobile Device “Gesture” Mode Integration for Button/Keyboard-less Remote Control Operation: A proof-of-concept that is not too far from production possibility, Entropic will demonstrate how its Android-based STB SoC platforms can turn an Android-based mobile device into a gesture-mode remote control. Using NFC (near field communication) tagging for contactless control, Entropic puts the power into a user’s hand – allowing them to integrate and stream their social media applications between the TV and device, leverage the cloud for streaming media services playback and stream entertainment content from the TV to a portable device by simply “bumping” it.
To learn more about our next-generation STB SoC and home connectivity solutions, please feel free to visit Entropic at booth #1567 at The Cable Show, May 21-23, 2012, in Boston.
About Entropic Communications
Entropic Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:ENTR) is a leading global provider of silicon and software solutions to enable connected home entertainment. The Company transforms how traditional HDTV broadcast and streaming video content is seamlessly, reliably, and securely delivered, processed, and distributed into and throughout the home. Entropic’s next-generation home connectivity and set-top box system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions enable Pay-TV service providers to offer consumers a more captivating whole-home entertainment experience by delivering new, high-performing ways to connect, engage, and enjoy multimedia content. For more information, visit Entropic at: www.entropic.com.
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding Entropic's MoCA and STB SoC technologies, its related prospects and its role in the future of home networking. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause Entropic's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to, competition, risks associated with Entropic's dependence on a limited number of customers and suppliers, technology risks, the risk that the market for HD video and multimedia content delivery solutions may not develop as Entropic anticipates and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of Entropic's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the three months ended March 31, 2012. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Entropic is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright © 2012 Entropic Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. All other product or company names mentioned are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Media/Industry Analyst Contact: