Single-Chip Broadband Access Solution Provides China's Ethernet-over-Coax Market Significant Bandwidth Agility, Improved Channel Performance and Lower Overall Solution Cost
SAN DIEGO, July 31, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, today announced the production release for its new generation c.LINK® Broadband Access products, the EN3511 Network Controller (NC) and the EN3530 Client Premise Equipment (CPE). Specific to the Ethernet-over-Coax (EoC) market, the new system uses 65nm single-chip system-on-a-chip (SoC) technology to considerably increase overall performance while reducing solution cost.
The new Broadband Access solution is designed for the China EoC market, as regional Multiple System Operators (MSOs) and Cable Network Operators require solutions that can satisfy China's NGB (Next Generation Broadcasting) bandwidth requirements. Answering the need for high-performance, cost-effective access technology for multiple dwelling units (MDUs), Entropic's latest EoC solution delivers scalable "last kilometer" connectivity to bring IP-based services such as IPTV, IP VoD (video on demand), VoIP (voice over IP), and Internet access over the same coaxial network with MSO cable TV services.
The EN3511/EN3530 solution offers the following key features:
- Reliability – based on the field proven MoCA® (Multimedia over Coax) 1.1 chipset technology, for which Entropic has already shipped more than 50-million MoCA 1.0/1.1 chipsets;
- Lower Total Systems Cost – achieved through its highly integrated 65nm single-chip SoC and optimized bill of material (BOM);
- Increased Performance – providing more than 270 Mbps of raw data bandwidth and more than 175 Mbps of application throughput – even when shared among 63 clients in a MDU. Based on Entropic Broadband Access testing, the EN3511/EN3530 EoC solution runs 60-percent faster than the previous c.LINK solution (EN3011/EN3230), as it provides more than 175 Mbps of application throughput as compared to approximately 100Mbps throughput in a 64-node network;
- System Scalability – achieved by offering High Radio Frequency (RF) architecture that can scale to multiple channels on a single coaxial cable. By operating above the regular CATV signals, and providing frequency agility between 800 MHz and 1500 MHz, additional NCs can be added to support even more clients on the network;
- Backward Compatibility – to the currently deployed system (EN3011/EN3230) in the field offering a seamless upgrade path; and
- Support for Quality of Service (QoS) Performance Attributes – with high immunity to electrical interference and stringent low latency time-division-multiplexing protocol (TDM).
"Entropic has made continual investments in its Broadband Access solutions to lower solution cost and increase performance, robustness, and reliability to support China's NGB initiative," said Al Servati, vice president of Marketing, Connectivity Products Group, Entropic Communications. "Our scalable solution is mature, stable, and enables operators to future proof their network and deliver affordable broadband multi-services over the existing coaxial infrastructure."
Entropic is shipping its c.LINK Broadband Access solution today. The technology has already been deployed in devices made available by Sichuan Jiuzhou Electronic Technology Co., Ltd., and CHANGHONG among others. For more information, visit the Broadband Access page on Entropic's web site.
About Entropic Communications
Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR) is a leading global provider of silicon and software solutions to enable connected home entertainment. The Company transforms how traditional HDTV broadcast and streaming video content is seamlessly, reliably, and securely delivered, processed, and distributed into and throughout the home. Entropic's next-generation home connectivity and set-top box system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions enable Pay-TV service providers to offer consumers a more captivating whole-home entertainment experience by delivering new, high-performing ways to connect, engage, and enjoy multimedia content. For more information, visit Entropic at: www.entropic.com.
The Entropic Communications logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=4255
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements" Within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the expected benefits of Entropic's Broadband Access solutions, Entropic's leadership in providing MoCA enabled technology, and continued or future integration of technology into products of OEMs. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause Entropic's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to, the effects of competition from alternative technologies; Entropic's dependence on a limited number of service providers and customers in China; the risk that the market for broadband access and EoC solutions in China may not develop as anticipated; risks associated with international operations and sales; the effect of intellectual property rights claims; and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of Entropic's Annual Report on Form 10-Q for the three months ended March 31, 2012. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Entropic is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright © 2012 Entropic Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. All other product or company names mentioned are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
CONTACT: Investor Contact:Entropic Communications
Media/Industry Analyst Contact:
+ 1 858.768.3827