SAN DIEGO, Aug. 13, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, will highlight 'what's new and next' in connected home entertainment delivery at the upcoming IBC2012 in Amsterdam, September 7-11, 2012.
Internet streaming continues to grow at a rapid clip, according to the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG). The home entertainment industry group reported consumer spending on home entertainment rose 1.4 percent during the first six months of the year, to more than $8.4 billion, compared with $8.3 billion for the same period a year ago. Video-on-Demand (cable, satellite) grew 11.6 percent over the same period in 2011, while Internet streaming subscriptions reached triple digit growth with a 430 percent increase.
With the anticipated video streaming growth rates, Entropic is well positioned to help global Pay-TV operators' transition to hybrid and IP video distribution – from bringing content into the home to streaming HTML5 and advanced graphics content with open standards set-top boxes (STBs) running over the fastest whole-home network with a MoCA® 2.0 (Multimedia over Coax) home network.
At IBC2012, Entropic will demonstrate the power, flexibility and performance of its platform solutions to bridge and deliver high definition (HD) and multimedia content to the consumer. Located in the private meeting suite G106/107, the Company will highlight:
- TV Everywhere: Today's entertainment marketplace provides an abundance of options for receiving content and Entropic's portfolio of open standard STB solutions including videoconferencing, transcoding and MoCA backbone solutions help bridge content to the screen of the viewer's choice. Remote user interface clients enable operator based look and feel in IP client devices while MoCA + Wi-Fi extenders help link broadcast content to tablets and smart phones. Entropic's demonstration allows you to watch TV everywhere and on any device.
- Internet Channel: In addition to traditional broadcast medium, HD media content is widely available via Internet sources. Entropic will highlight several ways Internet-based content can provide rich entertainment experiences:
- Operator based applications on gaming platforms
- Over-the-top solutions such as Netflix, LoveFilm and the BBC's iPlayer
- Peer to peer video conferencing overlay leveraging powerful open standards STB solutions
- High-speed data exchange to and from the Cloud
- Retail MoCA adapters to enable consumers to construct high-speed networking backbones to handle parallel consumption of the new Internet content channels
- Media Processing: Entropic will show its technical capability to run next-generation HTML5 consumer applications from an Entropic-based set-top box over a MoCA 2.0 home network. The demonstration will highlight the ease at which HD content can be transcoded to enable content bridging from the MoCA backbone to tablet devices via a connected MoCA/Wi-Fi adapter. Additionally, leveraging an open standard software stack running on the Linux operating system, Entropic will show an innovative dual-mode 'proof of concept' set-top box demo that allows Pay-TV operators to add an Android® platform to a legacy application.
- Sat-to-Screen: Demonstrating capabilities for bringing satellite content to the home, Entropic's end-to-end solution provides the means to implement home architectures from a pure-play product line. Entropic's Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) outdoor unit (ODU) solution captures and distributes the satellite signal on a single wire throughout the home while Entropic's STB SoC powers full-featured content consumption experiences. Additionally, Entropic will discuss how its recently acquired digital channel stacking switch (dCSS) assets provide a path to future DBS ODU technologies, including laying the foundation for Sat-IP.
- Broadband Access and MoCA Home Networking Performance: Entropic will demonstrate current Broadband Access Network Controller (NC) and Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) products bridging more than 100Mbps WAN connectivity into a MoCA backbone for a high bandwidth home network. In addition, Entropic will showcase a production MoCA 2.0 solution with turbo mode performance at 500Mbps MAC throughput, as well as demonstrate 2Gbps MAC throughput over coaxial cable for next generation access technology.
"At IBC2012, we are showing how our platform solutions can work together to bridge broadcast and IP multimedia content to the consumer – anywhere and on any device," said Dr. Anton Monk, co-founder and vice president of Technology at Entropic Communications. "As the only pure-play platform semiconductor company in connected home entertainment, we are delivering a portfolio of Connectivity and STB SoC solutions that reliably and securely deliver and process multimedia content throughout the home."
For more information on Entropic's presence at IBC2012, visit: www.entropic.com, or visit the Company onsite at meeting suite G106/107 at the RAI Amsterdam.
About Entropic Communications
Entropic Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENTR) is a leading global provider of silicon and software solutions to enable connected home entertainment. The Company transforms how traditional HDTV broadcast and streaming video content is seamlessly, reliably, and securely delivered, processed, and distributed into and throughout the home. Entropic's next-generation home connectivity and set-top box system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions enable Pay-TV service providers to offer consumers a more captivating whole-home entertainment experience by delivering new, high-performing ways to connect, engage, and enjoy multimedia content. For more information, visit Entropic at: www.entropic.com.
The Entropic Communications logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=4255
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding Entropic's STB SoC and Connectivity technologies, its related prospects and its role in the future of connected home entertainment. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause Entropic's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to, competition, risks associated with Entropic's dependence on a limited number of customers and suppliers, technology risks, the risk that the market for HD video and multimedia content delivery solutions may not develop as Entropic anticipates and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of Entropic's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the three months ended June 30, 2012. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Entropic is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright © 2012 Entropic Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. All other product or company names mentioned are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
CONTACT: Entropic Investor Contact:
Entropic Media/Industry Analyst Contact: